Orlando, FL 32808
BlueWave is looking for an Engineering Manager to join a global simulation company to direct, lead and manage all aspects of product engineering for major systems (i.e. combat vehicles) during development, production, operational support and upgrade throughout the life of the product. This person will manage multiple engineering disciplines encompassing mechanical, electrical, electronics, software and/or systems engineers. Technical activity is centered on systems integration and application of new technologies into existing or new combat vehicle platforms.
The Engineering Manager will develop engineering program objectives, performance standards, and plans to meet total system performance requirements. This person will also support business development of products through technical studies, briefs, proposals, and application of new technologies.
- Develop and implement Engineering Management Plan to support program phase during development, production, or operational support.
- Develop cost, schedule and control plans, and define scope of work to organize, authorize, and measure engineering program performance. Establish program technical objectives, priorities, and approach to accomplish program engineering requirements. Along with Program Manager, determine resources necessary to effectively perform program engineering activity.
- Manages activities of key functional personnel assigned to project who support technical development of the product including Configuration Management, Software, Systems Engineering, Test, Hardware Management, Human Factors and Safety and specialty groups (i.e. cybersecurity, armor, survivability, modeling, analysis, etc.).
- Work closely with customer to understand specified and implied requirements to deliver product that provides best value. Involve Operations, suppliers, Quality, ILS and other specialty groups in establishing system design requirements and implementing their inputs into the final product.
- Ensures quality of products being delivered including technical data package, contract data items, reports, plans, hardware, software, and other products required by contract. Also responsible for producibility of designs and transition to production activities.
- Provide technical management of subcontractors and major suppliers defining scope of work, specifications, and other requirements to fulfill contract.
- Manage day-to-day activities of engineering group and assure coordination between other program functions such as Configuration Management, Product Assurance, Test, ILS, Finance, Contracts/Subcontracts, Manufacturing and Procurement. Work with contracts to clarify contractual requirements, process changes, and resolve issues.
- Determine priorities and assign personnel to tasks in above areas. Conduct communications meetings to address personnel and project needs and convey management decisions and division strategy to the staff. Prepare performance appraisals and conduct quarterly reviews. Ensure that proper training is provided to the staff within schedule and budget constraints.
- Provide guidance and work with supporting functional organization leaders to assure technical strategies of the division are aligned with program needs.
- Maintain knowledge of evolving technologies and support business development activities for application of these technologies in current product lines or derivative products.
- Possesses broad technical, administrative, and management skills to oversee product line development, production, operational support, and system upgrades. Must have demonstrated capability to manage large engineering programs through subordinate levels. Must have made wideranging personal contributions to the success of other products by facilitating the development of highly creative solutions to technical and business problems.
- Is able to evaluate and solve complex technical and business problems working with direct reports, program management and others who require extensive investigation and analysis.
- Makes system-level decisions regarding technical approach or design, resource allocations, and schedule constraints.
- Exercises authority, typically through delegation to others, to implement plans or initiate projects within a given area.
- Must have knowledge of trends in industry, what competitors are doing, and knowledge of the divisions business, strategy, and future plans. Develops and applies knowledge of customers needs and coordinates resources to meet customer needs. Directs proposal activity in pursuit of new business.
- Guides others in translating strategic plan into operational or tactical plans.
- Conducts effective meetings, discussions and presentations.
- Practices and contributes to corporate, division, and department mission and culture.
- Ability to communicate with high-ranking internal and external individuals, including national defence customers.
- High degree of self-motivation.
- Skilled in understanding, selecting, motivating, influencing, evaluating, and developing people in achieving goals through leadership, team-building, and teamwork.
- Requires planning to ensure the effective execution of assigned functional responsibilities.
- Requires the ability to accommodate change in plans and to integrate plans with overall division business plans.
- 15+ years of successful related experience, with a minimum of 5 years in Engineering Management
- Exemplary work history, showing upward continued mobility
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to communicate efficiently and effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to adapt management techniques to inspire and help keep employees motivated
- Expertise in mechanical engineering and finite analysis as well as a thorough working knowledge of the manufacturing process including steel and aluminum weldments, sheet metal forming, machining, and assembly
- Have what it takes to think outside the box and discover creative solutions to difficulties within the Engineering department as well as throughout the company to facilitate continuous company-wide improvement and growth
- Experience in simulation is a plus
Required Education & Certifications
- Bachelors degree in Engineering with a minimum 10 years engineering experience and demonstrated performance in a technical management role with at least five years of management experience.
- PMP Certification desired